Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How Superman, Batman, Captain America And Iron Man Helped Spread The Word Of God

I used to collect comic books until about a few years ago, when a change in my finances forced me to quit. I still get TPBs every once in a great while, though. :)

Anyway, this is the story of how my old comics helped spread God's Word.

It was 1984, and Uncle Richard and his family came home to the States from Africa, where he was a Lutheran missionary. At that time, I'd had several hundred (maybe thousands) of comics at my parents' house. I was showing the books off to some of my cousins, and they were having fun going through my books and trying to read as many as they could.

I came upon the idea to give 'em several a bit later, and my mom suggested I give 'em a couple of grocery bags full. I agreed, knowing Mom would probably "donate" 'em to the nearest garbage can! I figured my cousins would get a lot of enjoyment out of books I no longer wanted to read.



So, in the two bags went Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Iron Man, Justice League of America, and Teen Titans, to name just a few.

I figured the books would be read, re-read, and probably tossed.

A few years later, I found out Uncle Richard used the books as BRIBES to checkpoint guards! He'd often used Bibles, but he also needed them to do his work. So the guards were given Superman, Batman, and the others, to speed up the checkpoint searches! The Man of Steel and The Darknight Detective were VERBOTEN in many countries almost as much, if not AS much as, The Bible! So the guards HAPPILY let Uncle Richard pass through with no trouble.

Uncle Richard was able to continue his work, thanks to the comicbook heroes! :)

THAT'S how Superman and Batman (and the rest) helped spread God's Word! I hope you enjoyed that little tale. It's ALL true! I'll be back this weekend with some more banners. :)


3 comments:

  1. A very inspiring story. Thanks for sharing. Proof that God can use anyone to further His work...even if they are fictional. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ralph! I was actually afraid some people would think I was PREACHING at/to them, and that wasn't my intent at all. I just wanted to tell what I thought was a neat little tale from my past. :)

      I'm glad you liked it, my friend! :)

      Delete
  2. I was raised in the church and went to a Christian college. I've always felt like much of my patriotism and love of humanity in general didn't JUST come from Biblical teachings, but from comics as well. What better books to tell you about the fight of evil by good?

    ReplyDelete